6 loin lamb chops, about 2 lbs.
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, approximately 2 ½ lemons
1 tbsp. chopped fresh herbs ( ½ oregano, ½ rosemary)
6 cloves of garlic, sliced
1/4 cup of pastis
1. Place the chops flat in a glass or other non-reactive dish.
2. Add the olive oil and turn the chops to coat them well.
3. Sprinkle the chops with ½ of the salt and pepper, turn them and sprinkle with the remainder.
4. Add the lemon juice.
5. Sprinkle the chops with ½ of the garlic and ½ of the mixed herbs, turn them and repeat.
6. Add the pastis.
7. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and let marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours or more, turn several times while marinating.
8. About 1 hour before cooking remove the lamb chops from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Just before cooking remove the chops from the marinade and discard.
9. If grilling, pre-heat the grill to a temperature of around 500 degrees, place the chops on the grate and grill for about 8 minutes, turn and repeat. If broiling, pre-heat broiler on high and place the chops on a rack in a broiling pan, about 5 inches from the heat, broil for 8 minutes, turn and repeat.