(Serves two: Active preparation – 20 minutes, cooking time 20 minutes)
1 lb. Cod fillets
1 lb. Baby Spinach
Salt & pepper
1 8oz. bottle of Clam Juice
¼ cup fresh squeezed lime juice, about 3 small limes
1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger, 1 piece peeled, about 1 inch square
1 jalapeño pepper, seeds discarded, minced
1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup dry white wine
1. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Season the fillets with salt & pepper.
3. Steam and drain the spinach, keep it warm.
4. Add the clam juice to a small 1 or 2 qt. pot and bring to a boil
5. When it boils, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, then add the lime juice.
6. Add the ginger and jalapeño and continue to simmer.
7. Heat an oven-proof skillet on high and add the olive oil.
8. When oil is shimmering, add the seasoned fish, flat side down, and pan-sear for 4 minutes.
9. Transfer skillet to oven and cook for 3 minutes more, do not turn the fillets.
10. Divide the spinach among 2 deep bowls.
11. Carefully remove the fish to a plate and keep warm.
12. Return skillet to stove top and heat on high.
13. De-glaze pan with white wine and then add the ginger-lime broth.
14. Bring to a boil and then pour over the spinach.
15. Gently place the cod fillets on the spinach and top off with the cilantro.
Serve with a crusty, warmed baguette and Sauvignon Blanc.
Please see: What to Do With a Piece of Cod