(Serves four. Active Preparation time 50 to 60 minutes)
8 cups of Unsalted Chicken Stock
1 pinch of Saffron threads, about 1/8 tsp.
3 tbsps. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 tbsps. plus 2 tbsps. Unsalted Butter
1/3 cup Scallions, sliced; about 4 Scallions both green and white parts
2 cups of Arborio Rice
1 cup plus ½ cup of dry white wine
¼ lb. of Arugula
½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
½ lb. bay scallops
½ lb. large shrimp (8 or 9), shelled, deveined and cut in half
½ tsp. Hot Hungarian Paprika
1. Heat the chicken stock in a small pot.
2. Remove one cup of stock and add the saffron and set aside.
3. In a separate, 3 qt. pot, heat the olive oil on medium, add 3 tbsps. butter to melt, stir well.
4. Lower the heat; add the scallions and sauté for 2 minutes.
5. Add the rice, raise heat to medium, and stir well for about 4 minutes to coat each grain of rice.
6. Add the white wine, continuing to stir until the wine is absorbed.
7. Add the set-aside cup of stock with saffron and keep stirring until all of the liquid is absorbed.
8. Add a second cup of stock from the heated pot and add a handful of arugula, stirring well until the arugula becomes limp and the stock is all absorbed, about 3-5 minutes.
9. Continue this process until all of the arugula and 7 cups of stock are used, leaving one cup still heated in the small pot, which will be added at the end.
10. In the meantime, heat the remaining 2 tbsps. of butter in a sauté pan, add the scallops and shrimps and sauté on high heat for three minutes.
11. Pour the remaining ½ cup of white wine over the shrimp and scallops and continue to sauté until most of the wine is absorbed. Sprinkle with the paprika and add to the rice after step 9.
12. Add the Parmigiano-Reggiano, as well as the one remaining cup of stock, mix well and serve immediately.