1 bunch of Broccoli Rabe (also called Broccoli di Rape, Rapini and Broccoli Rabb)
6 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
1. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in 5 quart or larger pot.
2. Rinse the Broccoli Rabe, discard the thick stems by cutting about 3 inches off the bottom of the bunch.
3. When the water comes to a full boil, add the Broccoli Rabe and blanch it for 60 seconds.
4. Strain Broccoli Rabe in a colander, and then plunge it immediately into a bowl filled with ice and cold water to stop the cooking and to retain its dark green color.
5. When cooled, transfer to a colander and drain until ready to sauté.
6. In a sauté pan with low curved sides, heat the olive oil on high flame.
7. When oil is shimmering, add the garlic and quickly sauté; do not let it brown.
8. When the garlic is translucent* add the broccoli rabe and sauté for 3 minutes, tossing constantly with tongs.
9. Remove from the pan with tongs and serve immediately.
*Variation: At this point add ¼ to ½ teaspoon crushed chili pepper, depending on taste, to the oil-garlic mixture before adding the broccoli rabe.
Also see: Eat it! It’s Good for You!