Reserved turkey carcass, skin, bones and meat scraps, as well as any stuffing and gravy that you don’t want to save for leftovers
2 large onions, peeled and quartered
3 stalks of celery, including leaves, cut into thirds
4 carrots, skin left on and cut into quarters
1. Place all of the ingredients in a 16 qt. pot, cover with water and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer covered for 1 hour.
2. Remove cover and continue simmering for 2 more hours or until the meat falls of the bones.
3. Strain the soup out and discard all of the solids.
4. When cooled, place soup in refrigerator overnight.
5. The next morning skim off and discard all of the gelatinous fat that has formed on the top.
6. Heat the soup; add any cut up leftover turkey and gravy.
7. Serve with separately cooked tortelloni, tortellini, ditalini, ditali, elbow macaroni or pastina, whatever is your choice, as well as grated Pecorino – Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Please also see: The Turkey that Keeps Giving