7 Medium size beets
Water to cover the beets
Preparation Step I (cooking the beets):
- Remove stems and roots from the beets and place in a large pot with water to cover.
- Cook beets for 2 hours on medium heat. Beets are done when a fork is easily inserted into the beet.
- Remove beets from cooking water with a slotted spoon, chill under cold water and remove skins.
- Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water for the marinade.
- Slice beets into 1/4 inch thick slices and set aside.
Preparation Step II – (making the pickling marinade).
*Ingredients for pickling marinade:
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup beet liquid reserved from Step I
½ cup sugar
pinch of mustard seeds
10 whole cloves
16 black peppercorns
- In a small saucepan combine the above ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour marinade over sliced beets and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, strain the marinade through a fine sieve and pour the strained liquid over the beets.
Serve as side dish.
Please see: The Maturing Palate