1 large onion, finely chopped
¼ lb. of butter
½ cup of Vodka
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 & ½ cups of grated Parmesan cheese
2 dashes of ground nutmeg
¼ cup plain tomato sauce (Del Monte, Hunts or Contadina) for color
Chopped parsley or basil depending on preference and availability
1. Melt the butter in a large sauté pan and add the onion. Sauté on medium-high for about 8 minutes.
2. Raise the heat to high, add the vodka and let sit 15 seconds. Shut the heat and ignite the vodka. CAUTION: Stand back from the stove, and if you have a vent fan directly over the stove be sure to shut it before igniting the vodka.
3. When the flame subsides, return heat to medium high and whisk in the cream.
4. With heat remaining on medium-high, slowly whisk in the cheese, ¼ cup at a time until fully blended.
5. Stir in two dashes of nutmeg.
6. Slowly add the tomato sauce until the color turns a desired shade of pink.
7. When the Penne is cooked al dente (about 11 minutes), drain it and slowly mix in with the vodka sauce, then transfer to a serving dish.
8. Sprinkle liberally with your choice of parsley or basil.
Note: if making for a larger group, merely double each of the ingredients.
Please refer to Tommy T and Me.