(active preparation & cooking time about 1 hour – makes 6 to 8 crab cakes as a meal or 22 to 25 as hors d’oeuvres)
For The Crab Cakes
1 lb. lump crab meat
1 cup thinly sliced scallions, about 7 scallions, both green and white parts
1 cup of chopped, roasted, red peppers, about one 12 oz. jar, drained
1 and ½ cups plain breadcrumbs
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
3 tsp. of Hot Hungarian Paprika
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
For The Sauce Rémoulade
1. Prepare the Sauce Rémoulade by combining the 6 ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisking together briskly. Chill for 30 minutes.
2. In the meantime, to a 4 qt. or larger mixing bowl, add the crab meat, scallions, peppers and breadcrumbs, mix well with a small rubber spatula.
3. To a small mixing bowl, add the mustard, lemon juice, paprika and eggs, whisk together briskly.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, add black pepper and mix well again.
5. Form the mixture into 6 or 8 cakes, each about the size of a good-sized hamburger.
6. Add the olive oil to 12 inch non-stick frying pan and heat on medium high.
7. When the oil is shimmering, add the cakes and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
Serve the crab cakes over a bed of mixed greens tossed with 4 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil and 4 tbsp. of champagne vinegar.
Top each crab cake with several spoonful’s of the Sauce Rémoulade.
Note: These crab cakes can be served as hors d’oeuvre as well. Merely form the cakes in smaller pieces, yield 22 to 25.