Serves 4. Active preparation time 30-45 minutes.
1 qt. unsalted chicken stock
2 tbsps. unsalted butter
2 tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
1 cup Arborio Rice
3 pinches saffron threads
2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Bring chicken broth to a boil in a 2 qt. pot. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
2. Remove 1 cup of stock and add the saffron threads.
3. In a 3 qt. pot, melt the butter over medium heat, add the oil
4. Add the rice and cook for several minutes, stirring to coat each grain.
5. Add the cup of the warm chicken stock with saffron and cook, stirring, until the rice has absorbed the liquid.
6. Add the remaining stock, 1 cup at a time. Continue to stir, allowing the rice to absorb each cup of stock before adding the next.
7. Test the rice for doneness, it should be al dente but creamy smooth.
8. Remove risotto from heat, add grated cheese and black pepper. Serve at once with Osso Buco Milanese.