(Yield – about 5 quarts. Active preparation time 1 hour, unattended cooking time 2 hours)
1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium onion coarsely chopped
7 cloves garlic, minced
6 15oz. cans Cannellini Beans, rinsed and drained
3 lbs. Chouriço, or Linguiça sliced about ¼ inch, or less, thick
4 qts. water
1 cup Beef or Chicken Broth
1 & 1/2 lbs. Kale, (2 medium sized bunches) remove leaves from stems, rip leaves and discard stems
1 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced and diced in 3/4 inch pieces
1. In an 8 quart pot, heat olive oil on medium.
2. Add onion and garlic, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 5 minutes.
3. Add 3 cans of the beans, stir well and cook 5 minutes.
4. Add sausage, raise heat to medium, cook 3 minutes.
5. Add water and broth, stir well and bring to a boil.
6. When soup is at a full boil, add kale and potatoes, stir well and return to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to medium and boil uncovered for 1 hour.
8. Mash 1 can (2 cups) of the beans in a food processor and stir into the soup.
9. Add the remaining 2 cans of beans to the soup and stir.
10. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for an additional hour.
Serve as a meal along with warm, crusty bread. Leftovers may be frozen in 1 or 2 quart containers to serve as additional meals during the long, cold, winter.
Please see: My Cousin Vinny to the Rescue