Our granddaughter, May, defines the term fussy eater. So imagine how thrilled The Literate Chef and I were when she devoured my meatballs during a recent visit. With the love of our granddaughter in mind, I share my recipe for Grammy’s Meatballs.
1 ½ lbs. prime (90% lean beef) chopped meat
½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Locatelli-Romano
½ cup whole milk
½ cup Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/8 tsp. salt
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
3 tbsps. Extra Virgin Olive Oil for browning the meatballs
1. Place all of the above ingredients, except the olive oil, in a large bowl, and kneed them together until well mixed and spongy.
2. Form into 16 medium size (about 2 inches in diameter) meatballs.
3. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over a medium-high flame.
4. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides for approximately 5 minutes.
5. Reduce flame to medium and continue cooking, turning frequently, for an additional 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately.
(Note: If adding the meatballs to Dorothea’s Homemade Italian Sauce, skip the last step and add the browned meatballs directly to the sauce, where they will continue to cook.)
Please see: The Secret’s Out!